Saturday, March 20, 2010

Week 3 in summary


Hello!
This picture is the much requested proof of me wearing my cofia. And my complete uniform. Whoever thought that it was a good idea to make medical professionals wear white didn't realize that nursing involves lots of body fluids--and stains. But whatever, I'm over it. :0)
This week has proved to be an enjoyable one as I got to visit the aspects of our PROSEC project here, which I don't know what it stands for, but it's our community health outreach, which involves daily visits to a clinic 15 minutes out, and also our mobile clinic, which this week involved a trip to a town 4 hours out. Tiring, but interesting.
The mobile clinic is really cool as it is especially affordable for consults, meds, and dental attention. Friday involved loading the truck on a ferry across a river to travel to the village. Care is pretty routine with respiratory infections, urinary tract infections, female cares, diarrhea, body aches, etc. Usually nothing too serious that some tylenol and antibiotics can't fix. At least, that's my understanding so far. Of course, there's always always the chance that I missed a lot of what the patients say. Next week is orienting to the general floor.
Spanish, well you know, continuously a challenge. Trying to be easier on myself and be okay with not understanding, and feeling silly for not. I'll be glad for the day when I feel comfortable with it.
I'm looking forward to Semana Santa (Holy Week) as it is a national holiday here, and I will be traveling somewhere (unknown at this time) to meet up with my friend Erin who is serving in Guatemala with SALT. I'll be glad to get some traveling in with a good friend.
I'm starting to miss certain things in the U.S. as spring is coming around, which is always a fun time in both VA and IA. But again, thankful that God has put me here, as I know I am growing and learning all sorts of things I'll look back and be thankful for. I am just starting up here, and am just starting to learn what it means to be effective in another culture. Need a lot more time for this one! But I have been blessed with a supportive community to be apart of, as well, as the community of friends and family I have sending emails and messages. Always glad for those.

Well, I think that's all for this week. Much love sent from here.

2 comments:

  1. Love from here too Mal. Hope you're loving as many moments as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making much progress each day, Malerie! Hang in there & I know you will get it in time. Love from your IA mom

    ReplyDelete