Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rough day at the hospital

So this week I get the opportunity to work alongside a urologist from Boston as he can use some extra help with translating. I have gotten to learn a lot a lot of new cool things about the urinary system, and all sorts of tricks regarding the prostate gland and kidney stones.
I'm starting to see just how good we have it in the states. Part of why costs are so so high is because of the amount of waste we have. I'm blown away by their ability to use and reuse. But also, you probably would never experience your prostate resecting tool to go out part way through a surgery, and have no resources in how to go about getting it fixed for the 10 other surgeries scheduled this week. Praying that God will provide. So many of these men we are seeing REALLY need this surgery. Many have walked around with a foley catheter in for months at a time. One I think had it for 9 months?? You can tell the poorer ones b/c they don't even have a bag attached. Just a plug that they empty when their bladder gets full. Not a good or safe situation. Also, so much of the technology available in the states is super duper expensive. Here, if you can't afford it, it's unfortunate. We just don't get to have it. Simple stone-blasting lithotripsy is something we here can just not afford.
I'm also witnessing the long-suffering of many of the patients we see. Some have been living with pain related to kidney stones for close to a year. I've never had kidney stones, but I've heard they can be quite excruciating. I can't even imagine having to live with that for so long.
I also learned that bladder tumors are pretty directly related to smoking and second-hand smoke. So, be careful! Also for older men who are having trouble with hesitancy, lay off the coffee. It should help some. :) haha. Sorry girls, don't have any good urinary advice for you. :)
So after attempting translating most of the day and getting to watch this surgery, I'm pretty tired. I would like to go grocery shopping, but simply am too lazy to go out and do it. I'm so spoiled and used to hopping in the car, going to Food Lion or whatever, throwing my stuff in the car and coming home. No no, here it's walking a bit and taxi-ing or whatever. Not that hard, but you know, as I said, I'm tired! :) pobrecita.
anyways, these are just some of the tidbits that I am experiencing here at the hospital. Things are interesting, and always something to learn, which keeps me inspired! The doctor today reminded me of ways to be successful in serving your patients. a) be on top of your game and know your stuff. Read your nursing journal and stay on top of what is going on in your field b) have empathy for what they are probably feeling. Really for the first time, I'm starting to really see a need to do more studies, even if its independent research just so that I can know better how to care for people.
Thanks so much for your encouraging words and posts! It always brings a smile to my face.
Blessings to you, and peace as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hey girlie!
    I'm so glad you've started this blog and am so happy you're sharing all your experiences. We've got ya bookmarked! Anyway- I remember how my head would THROB after a day of trying to understand Spanish.. I'd get the worst headaches at the end of the day. Anyway- sounds like you're doing an awesome job- just remember to take time to recuperate too!
    Lots of love,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Malerie,

    Thanks so much for giving us a "peek" into your workday-- what a change from the hospitals in the states! Keep hanging in there.
    We love you,
    Miriam and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca!
    I sometimes think about you as I walk down the street and wonder what Honduras was when you were here. Although living in Sigua is about 1000x diff than living in Teguc. Oh yes, sometimes my head gets so full of Spanish, I feel like I can't think. I joke that after 2:30 pm, i'm done for the day. :)
    I keep having this undying need for sleep. Like, I think I'd take 2 naps/day if I could.and that is on top of my 8 hours of sleep i get at night. :) Thanks for the post!

    Thanks Miriam for all your encouragement and your post! Love you guys so much! Can't wait for when you guys make your second trip to HOnduras...? :) hehe.

    Big hug from Honduras

    ReplyDelete