Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Finally Here!

Hello! I am happy to be able to be writing this first blog here in Sigua after my 5th complete day. You can probably guess a lot of what my feelings have been since I got here late Thursday evening. Excitement, Embarrassment, Worry. Can you believe it? I've even felt timid! Probably my biggest thing right now is trying to learn Spanish, of course. People have been gracious, but it seems even my simple vocab I learned back in highschool has left me, and my ability to conjugate verbs properly is also a challenge. But, as they have encouraged me, "Poco a Poco Malerie." Little by little I will learn.

So the basics of what's up:
I am living in the house of one of the doctors and his wife who is a nurse. They have been so good to me in helping me get organized with buying a simple cell phone to trying to get the internet for my computer, (we've been so far unsuccessful) getting my nurse's hat, a bank account, introducing me to people, etc. Also their niece lives with them too who is in the university studying. So I have a friend here.

There is a dorm on campus here for single nurses to live in. Probably in a month or so I will move there when I am more independent and can figure things out for my own. This house is really nice to live in, and feels like such a safe-haven. But it will be good for me to live with other nurses and find new Honduras friends. It will also help me get out and about a bit, b/c I will have to.

This is a community with a huge Christian influence. There aren't Mennonites in this area. The denomination I think is called Central American. Im not really all that well-oriented to it yet. But there are many opportunities to get involved with Bible Studies and such. These are not just Sunday morning Christians, that is for sure. They live and employ what they believe. A very nice group of people to work with.

The hospital is run completely different from what I am used to, which is to be expected. The nurses wear nurse hats which I am too. I get a black ribbon on mine b/c I'm a professional nurse, versus the auxiliar nurses who wear green. Pictures to come later. The doctors have been very nice and very friendly in welcoming me to the staff. I feel really dumb a lot due to my Spanish limitations, but they haven't made me feel bad in the least. The hospital is closely intwined to their nursing school so the students work alongside the nurses. Truly with me though, "student becomes teacher." I have to ask them all the questions. I'm super impressed with their resourcefulness. The way they sanitize and reuse stuff is actually really refreshing to me. For example, today I was helping with an EKG, and I went to throw the sticker tabs away and the student was like, 'oh, we reuse those." It never even occurred to me.
I have a whole lot to learn there, but again, "poco a poco."

I hope to soon become braver and start to explore the community outside of the hospital soon. My 'host brother' told me that I shouldn't rush the adaptation process, so I feel okay about not getting out too fast. I'll get there for sure.

The weather is so pleasant here. The mornings are a bit chilly, but the days are pleasantly warm and sunny. I love it. I did catch a small bout of bronchitis (I guess) maybe with the change of air, etc. I never felt sick, but the doctor went ahead and prescribed amoxicillin. Okay. Sure guess I'd rather do that then get a worse cough or something.

Matters for prayer if you're the prayin' kind: :)
-Spanish skills, and that they come quickly
-patience for myself. Realization that cross-cultural adaptation does not happen in 1 week.
-Norma and Enrique, my host parents who are actually in California for missions week. For their safety and contribution.


I have enjoyed getting emails and facebook posts from some of you. I'll continue to update as I can. Blessings to you! A big hug from me in Honduras.


11 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you! Don't be too hard on yourself! You've got a lot to process -- you will do fine. We had 40 degree temps today-- it feels like spring!

    Love ya,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Its so good to hear about your experience so far. Yet, I feel so far away from you and that makes me sad! I'm so excited for you and I will pray that Spanish will come to you. (I will admit, as I read your comments about the Spanish language, I said in my head, " Aye! Malerie! You should have sat down with Momma Rodriguez more". :) I miss you dear friend but I'm also really happy for you. All the best, Bri

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear that you've arrived and are settling in. Take it slow. It will take time, patience, and lots of sleep. I remember being so tired at the beginning of our time in Haiti due to functioning in a new language and tons of new and different things to process. I love the thought of you in a nurses hat, can't wait to see pictures of that! :) Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Be easy on yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Malo!
    Great to hear from you and glad that you're in a good place where you'll be challenged to learn Spanish out of necessity. I know after only 30 days in Guatemala I'd dream in Spanish and get headaches from studying too much. You'll get the hang of it, enjoy the ride.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  5. Malerie! I'm so excited for you being in Honduras :) You're living the [my] dream! hahaha. No te preocupes de sus skills de espanol jaja. Estoy muy segura que conoces mas que pienses ahorita. Y tambien estoy orando pa ti y su trabaja alla. Amor y abrazos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. damnit woman! i expected you to be fluently performing open heart surgeries in the hondurian backcountry within one week! dissapointing, malerie rose. :) sincerely, however, i'm so very proud of you. i reckon you can take "poco a poco" and apply it to every avenue of life--sound, sage wisdom for everything. you're going to be and do awesome, you're an inspiration and such a glorious human being. glad to see there's somewhere i can keep an eye on your adventuring, and wonder what EKG stands for. i love you mal, take good care of you! -beck

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear dear love,

    you will do wonderfully. be patient and remember you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mal, that sounds great! You missed the first week of spring here in Iowa City, but I doubt you were too concerned with that. Viva Honduras!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the prayin' kind, so more Power to you! And I'm pleased to hear of the resourcefulness there, especially when it comes to avoiding waste. When I see the amount of food wasted in our schools and the lack of respect for it by the kids, I feel such anger! I should find a mission trip to feed hungry children... Go well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a persistant & courages Lady & I know you can accomplish all of the hurdles, in due time! Please take good care of yourself. You are missed alot in Iowa!

    ReplyDelete