Sunday, May 23, 2010

April showers bring----May Rainy Season and lots of bugs! :)

Oh my, another couple weeks has passed already. I am enjoying living at my new housing location. I am enjoying going to the market, buying (super cheap) veggies, and making my own food. I also like the option of inviting people over if I want to.

Today I was invited to a fellow nurse's house to eat with her and her husband for lunch. We then went to the house where her siblings live, and then went to church in the evening. I have to say, it was just really nice. I felt like finally I might actually be starting to establish friendships. She had the patience to speak slowly and clearly, and I was just really happy to have had this experience. I have learned to celebrate the small, but substantial successes.

I just found out due to passport timing and legal deadlines, etc, I will be flying to the U.S. at the end of June for 3 weeks. (which allows me to be home for my 24th birthday on July 4). In some sense I feel a little unready just because I don't feel adjusted here yet, and it feels like it is weird timing to already be going home for a visit. But it will be good to see family and friends, and take the time to reflect on my time so far. Also I am looking forward to a week or so to be spent in Harrisonburg, VA, attending the orientation of tranSend, the program in which I am in Honduras under. I am praying that I will gain some useful input that will help me as I continue adjusting as an American in a new country.

Well, I didn't have parasites. I did manage to get a little of the "Central American Diet" as I call it, or, rather, Rotavirus, which pretty much is a digestive system virus. I got over it fairly quickly after a trip to the Dr., some antibiotics, IV fluids, and several days resting at home. I have to say, I don't know if I've ever experienced lack of appetite, but I certainly did at this time. It was probably good for me, being on the other side of the healthcare system, as the patient. :)

Work at the hospital is going about the same. Some days are great, some not so great. This past week I spent orientating in the intensive care unit, which I really actually enjoyed, even though it took a lot out of me to make sure I was practicing safely, due to my struggles communicating. Also got in to watch my first natural birth. That was a really neat experience as well. This week is night shift.

Prayer Concerns:
1) Continued Spanish progress
2) Making friendships and good relationships with my co-workers
3) Preparing for my trip to the U.S.
4) my cousins in Tegucigalpa as they prepare to move to the U.S. in June
5) The hospital, staff, administration, and patients
6) The health of Norma, my "Honduran/Argentinean mom."
7) Wisdom in finding my place in this ministry/hospital

As always, thanks for reading! Thank you for thoughts and prayers and support. Love you all. Hope to see you when I get to the States.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you've had some good times lately! The central american diet part doesn't sound so nice, but the fresh veggies and cooking for yourself sounds wonderful! So sad I'll miss your visit to the states. Maybe I'll just have to visit you! I can always wish, right?

    ReplyDelete